Sunday, October 23, 2016

Electric Skateboards!

Click the skateboard below to go to my TED Ed lesson on Boosted Boards!
Image result for boosted board

The intended audience would be students at the intermediate level (grades 5-8)

The language objectives would be the following:
To use listening strategies to make the spoken text comprehensible and meaningful.
To apply self-correcting and self-monitoring strategies when discussing the text.

I would teach the students how to pause the video to take notes by giving the students a worksheet where there would be a map of what I wanted them to write down. Personally, I really like this infographic from the Create Innovate Explore website, so I think this would be great to use with my ELL learners in order to teach active listening for them.

Image result for active listening skills

Essentially, the students would need to pay attention. They would not have other windows open or try to look at other websites. Next, they would need to continue to look at the TED Talk speaker and not be distracted by other people in the room. It's important that they do not talk with other classmates because some people need complete silence when watching the video. At the end of the video, I would have the students ask at minimum two questions to a partner and see if the partner would be able to find the information from the video or from online. This would come from looking and understanding the information not only from the video itself, but from the directions too.

After students write their discussion question, I would have them go back and see if they could find their own errors in their written work. I would give them a checklist on what they may have done incorrectly. Here's a great one. You can click on it to get the actual file:




The students would need to go through that editing checklist about their own discussion post before posting it online to make sure their post meets standards of English. I especially like this checklist because it reminds students about verb tenses and introductions/conclusions. Also, it gives a reminder about articles. This would be especially important when using this TED lesson with students.

I liked the overall flow of the TED Ed lesson, but I like how ED Puzzle allows you to add questions into the middle of the video too. I think that having the questions at the end could be useful as well because it shows that the students were paying attention to the entire video versus just part of the video.

1 comment:

  1. I liked that you added additional graphics to this post to help clarify your objectives and methods. I am going to use the active listening infographic at school for sure. I also think it is cool how you make your pictures into the links. The comparison to ED Puzzle is a good one because that is one I think people are naturally going to make.

    ReplyDelete